Credit Frank Franklin Ii/Associated Press
Charges against the former Knicks star Charles Oakley stemming from an altercation at Madison Square Garden in February were dismissed Friday. While Mr. Oakley had originally promised to fight the charges all the way through the legal process, he accepted a dismissal at Manhattan Criminal Court and asserted that it proved he had been in the right.
“Happy, sad, I don’t know, it’s life,” Mr. Oakley, 54, said to reporters. “But like I said from Day 1, I wasn’t wrong.”
Mr. Oakley had been removed from the Garden after being surrounded by security at his courtside seat. What instigated the incident remains murky: Mr. Oakley professed that he did nothing wrong, while the Garden said he “shouting and cursing,” apparently in the direction of the team’s owner, James L. Dolan.
He ultimately was taken away after pushing a security guard twice. He was arrested and charged with three counts of third-degree assault and one count of criminal trespass, all of which were misdemeanors.
“The case is being dismissed,” said Alex Spiro, Mr. Oakley’s lawyer. “Mr. Oakley has been vindicated.”