Maurizio Sarri has been announced as the new Chelsea boss, replacing the sacked Antonio Conte.
The Italian joins the Stamford Bridge outfit from Serie A club Napoli, who he guided to a second-place finish last season, and he has now put pen to paper on a three-year deal at Stamford Bridge.
Conte won the Premier League and FA Cup in two seasons at Chelsea, but fell out with the notoriously hard-to-please board over the club’s transfer policy. The Italian also failed to secure Champions League football, and has had his contract terminated a month before the start of the new season.
Napoli had already brought in Sarri’s replacement – former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti – back in May, but didn’t release the Italian from his contract, forcing the Blues to pay a fee to secure their man.
Sarri said: “I am very happy to be coming to Chelsea and the Premier League. It is an exciting new period in my career.
“I look forward to starting work and meeting the players on Monday ahead of travelling to Australia, where I will be able to get to know the squad and begin our match action.
“I hope we can provide some entertaining football for our fans, and that we will be competing for trophies at the end of the season, which is what this club deserves.’
Chelsea will part with a combined figure of around £50million to land both Sarri and Napoli midfielder Jorginho, who has already snubbed signing for Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City.
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis recently discussed the Blues’ move for the Brazilian, saying: “Jorginho? We said to ourselves, ‘if Jorginho has any requests, we’ll take them into account.’
(Image: Getty Images Europe)
“For that, I’ll have to apologise to Manchester City. However, if the player would rather live in London than Manchester, I can understand that.
“If Chelsea are paying him even more, I can understand that too. Jorginho and Sarri together again? Jorginho would go to Chelsea regardless of Sarri.”