New Delhi [India] Oct 27 (ANI): Commenting over the recent attack on a Swiss Couple in Agra’s Fatehpur Sikri, Union Minister of State for Tourism, K.J. Alphons on Friday said that the USA and Europe were never deemed unsafe to travel even when shooting incidents and terror attacks were common incidents there.
Alphons’s statement comes days after, a Swiss couple, hailing from Lausanne, was allegedly brutally thrashed by a group of youths in Agra’s Fatehpur Sikri.
The tourism minister also said that India was a safe destination for tourists where very few incidents of crime against visitors take place.
While speaking to ANI, Alphons said: “Incidents like these are very unfortunate and hope that such ill-happenings don’t take place again. Shooting incidents happen regularly in USA and terror attacks in Europe, do we call those countries unsafe to travel? India is a very safe destination for tourists and if you go to see very few incidents like these take place in a year.”
“Ever since the Modi-led government has come into power we have created a huge image in the world and also should maintain that. Yesterday itself the accused were arrested as the Uttar Pradesh were quick in action. We ensure that no such incidents will take place again,” he said.
Meanwhile, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said they were in touch with the Swiss embassy to quickly to redress the issue.
“The ministry believes in quick redressal of the issue. We are in touch with Swiss embassy. The officials also visited the couple in hospital to ensure their safety,” said the official spokesperson of MEA, Raveesh Kumar. in a press briefing here.
Earlier on Thursday, Uttar Pradesh police arrested five accused, including three minors, in connection with the case.
The couple was reportedly seriously injured in the attack and is currently undergoing treatment at a hospital in Delhi. (ANI)
This story has not been edited. It has been published as provided by ANI